So I decided to write my own templating system with the following goals:
- It should have an elegant syntax with minimal punctuation
- It should be fast and lightweight
- It should have no library dependencies
- It should not require a browser or DOM
- It should be flexible enough to support internationalization (i18n) tasks
The result: Markup.js. Weighing in at only 1.7KB after minification and gzipping, it includes a simple yet powerful expression language for transforming structured data into HTML and other text formats. So far, I’m loving it.